Adding your business to a directory means that you can get free traffic from their customers searching for services in that area.
Why List on Free Business Directories?
Search engines like Google and Bing are not only large directories themselves but they also use your listing in other directories as trust signals for search engine optimisation (SEO). Consistent mentions of your business will help boost your rankings on the search engines. So whether that is on another directory or it is on another website, links back to your website are a really important factor when it comes to increasing your search engine ranking position (SERP). So here are at least 10 directories you should be listed on.
- Google My Business (GMB) – This is NOT the same as signing up via search console or doing SEO so your website can be found. GMB is its own business directory listing but shows up at the top of your google search.
- Bing Places for Business – Similar to GMB but on Bing.
- Free Index – FreeIndex makes it easy to find, select and make contact with fantastic local businesses in the UK. With well over 1.5 million registered members, FreeIndex not only allows you to read local business reviews and browse detailed business profiles but also allows you to get quotes for whatever you need. It’s free to use, and as our name suggests, it’s FREE for businesses to advertise.
- Business Directory UK – They list a wide range of businesses, non-profit organisations and charities in the UK and foreign companies who offer a service in the UK. We can be found on their UK Web Designers – Directory of Web Design Companies in the UK.
- Business Magnet – For B2B customers, you can find thousands of suppliers ready to serve your needs right at your fingertips.
- Mister What – With a domain authority (DA) of 44, this hidden gem of a directory provides a great backlink, add company profiles including useful information like address, postcode, phone number, website links, business category and a local map.
- Yelp – Did you know, 97% of users spend money with a business they found on Yelp within a week. Yelp is a well trusted directory with a high DA of 71.
- Yell – When you think of business directories you will always think of the little boy getting his big yellow pages and standing on it to kiss his girl under the mistletoe. Yell is still a leading directory but is now online. Create a free listing, get improved visibility in local Google searches and get found.
- Thomson Local – Another old directory that used to be a catalogue, Thomson Local is another high player with online directories. A free business listing on thomsonlocal.com puts your business in front of millions of potential customers.It takes just 60 seconds to apply and your listing could be live in as little as 5 days.
- Brown Book – Another hidden treasure is Brown Book, with a DA of 59. Established in 2007 they are the largest business listing database on the planet. Anyone can add listings, update them, and review businesses, and it’s all free and instant.
Want more ways to advertise your business for free? read our blog on 10 free (or almost free) ways to promote your website.
Know more directories or free business listing sites? let us know in the comments.